30 March 2014

Super Sunday

It's amazing how much a couple things can happen to completely change your week and give you a really good day.

I had been feeling quite discouraged this week, being my usual stressed and over-worried self, bogged down in the middle of Lent, waiting and waiting for the sun to come out. Today, though only partially through, has vastly improved my temperament (and yeah, I know in psychology--and in general--temperament is described as a more permanent thing, not something which changes over night; I'm kind of hoping I stay more positive on a permanent basis).

My day started with Mass. Waking up on Sunday morning for Mass is, admittedly, one of my least favorite things. Don't get me wrong: I love Mass and am totally fine once I get there, but I never manage to sleep as much as I want the night before. I would rather wake up with time to slowly adjust to the day than to hop up and get down to work. I wish I were a morning person, but I'm not. It was much easier at school when Mass was also offered at night. Frankly, I like Mass most at night: candlelight Masses are beautiful.

Anyway, Mass was great, as usual. Father (strongly) encouraged the parishioners to come to a holy hour for vocations next week, during which the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. I've never gone (though this hour happens every month), but probably should. The Stations of the Cross will be prayed then as well, so it would be a nice spiritual two-in-one. Perhaps it helped that today is Laetare Sunday: Easter will come!

Walking home from Mass was beautiful. The problem with living in the Midwest is how flat the terrain is: there is nothing to block the wind, which can be incredibly unforgiving. It was a little breezy, but the sun was out too and I almost didn't need my coat. Spring is finally here!

I then had a nice breakfast at home alone (my family doesn't get home from their Church until about an hour after I do) and listened to about half of this talk by Michael Voris on the Eucharist. It is quite good and so important to stress the belief in the True Presence. We Catholics believe the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ, in the form of bread and wine, is present at each Communion. This belief, more than any other, separates us from other all other religions. You can watch the video below if you like:




I then went with my mother, sister and grandmother grocery shopping, with a quick stop at Starbucks on the way. Since today (!!!) is the first anniversary of my Confirmation, I decided to get a croissant to celebrate.

Flaky goodness.
I also donated books and clothes which have been sitting in my room for ages. I still have more books and clothes that need boxing up. It is insane how much stuff I manage to accumulate. How does that happen?? With the space freed up (if only a little) from the donations, I felt inspired to tidy up my room a bit more. Now that Spring has finally shown itself, I decorated my table (with a leftover centerpiece from my aunt's baby shower; muy bonita), added a candle to my candle stand and opened the window and curtains. I love a Spring- or Summertime breeze in the house.

Yes. Christmas lights in March.
Now I'm listening to music and straight chillin', AKA doing what I do 40% of the time. Hope you guys are having a great Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like some much needed peace and relaxation! I can definitely relate.

    You know, I have a hard time getting to Mass on Sunday too for similar reasons! It's strange too, because all other days, I have a simple time getting out of bed and I'm usually not too tired. Something about Sunday though... My husband and I have both talked about saying a prayer for our day before we even get out of bed on Sundays and since we've started doing that, getting to Mass is much easier! We feel the same way and love going to Mass (there's nothing like it) but my brother once told me that the devil must really hate Sundays because even he said he was more prone to distractions during Church and bickering the moment he would wake up with his wife. He explained to me that distractions and arguments are the devil's biggest weapons to keep us away from celebrating and learning with our Lord on Sundays. Anyway, since knowing that, and praying for God to intervene in our morning, getting up to go to Church is much better!

    By the way, I love your centerpiece! And hey, way to represent Lent with your flowers! ;) I love reading your blog and I have no idea why more people don't comment! Have a great start to your week!
    - Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! And congratulations on your first anniversary of Confirmation! My first is coming up too and I can't believe the year I've had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah!
    Prayer on Sunday mornings is such a good thing! It seems so obvious once you think of it, doesn't it? It definitely makes sense that the devil would be working overtime that day, too. Thank you (and your brother) for sharing an excellent idea: I'll take to implementing it and see how energetic my mornings get. ;)
    The centerpiece is cute, isn't it? It's a leftover from my aunt's baby shower from a couple months ago. She doesn't like pink, so everything had to be lavender, appropriate for Lent and Spring. :)
    Thank you so much for your comment. I'm happy you enjoy reading!
    -Haley

    ReplyDelete